I'm researching software instruction conventions. This is specifically for training slides and materials, though I'm interested in your preferences for Tridion Stack Exchange and other online locations.
Discussion Topic: What are your preferences for capitalization, font, and style when explaining (or learning about) SDL Tridion?
Example from SDL Live Content which uses bold for terms:
- On the Home tab or the Create tab of the Ribbon, click New Component. A New Component window appears...
I've also seen single quotes (') for terms as in:
- On the 'Home' tab or the 'Create' tab of the Ribbon, click 'New Component'. A 'New Component' window appears...
Of course we have markdown's backtick (`), which would translate to a different style in a document.
- On the
Hometab or the
Createtab of the Ribbon, click
New Component. A
New Componentwindow appears...
Things to consider:
- When to capitalize terms (e.g. is there a difference between a (Tridion) page and a conceptual "page?")
- Separator for folders?
- 020 Global Content > Building Blocks
- 020 Global Content / Building Blocks
- 020 Global Content \ Building Blocks
The important part is consistency (and maintainability) rather than a specific format. Feel free to add examples and reasons for conventions. No guarantees on what the team will actually use, but if you ever see your standard in a future training, feel free to tell the class it was your idea. ;-)