Using the featured tag to raise announcements to your 'Community Bulletin' is fine. I would just urge vigilance to be sure "community announcement" doesn't veer into advertising and solicitation.
The subject of these 'announcements' should be widely regarded as something community engaging… something that will benefit community engagement as a whole. Meta posts and Community Bulletins are not simply free advertising. Consider these hypothetical examples:
- "Hey! Who's going to Super Tridion-con 7!" — EXCELLENT
- "Tridion SE is having a Meetup (or contest)" — PERFECT
- "Tridion Reaches 50 Million Downloads!" — OCCASIONAL OKAY, NOT ONGOING BULLETINS
- "Tridion 2013 SP2 Released" — I WOULDN'T GO THERE
- "ABC Development Releases LMNOP For Tridion" — NO
- "Free tutorials on my blog" — NO
- "Will you take our survey?" — NO
Use your best judgement so we can keep this a valuable resource with the hands-off approach we prefer. Enjoy!